👑 Never Frown to Cover your Crown! Top Reasons Why You Should Ride With A Helmet
Couple of weeks back, we all saw President Joe Biden and First Lady Dr Jill Biden enjoying a casual bike ride to ring in the first lady’s 70th birthday! What an example for everyone. We were especially delighted here at Zeitbike as it goes with our passion for cycling! Happy Riding everyone!
Now, did you notice that they were both smartly wearing helmets, as responsible cyclists do. Yes, let’s have fun, but do it safely, as we need to live longer to enjoy the sport longer!
Why should you wear a bicycle helmet?
- Personal Safety: Inadvertent accidents are inevitable during cycling, no matter how much of an expert you are. Wearing a helmet reduces your risk of head and brain injury, as well as forehead and midface.
- Your life matters: It is estimated that 70-75 percent of bicycle-related fatalities could be prevented with a bicycle helmet.
- Save your $$$s: The money you spend on a good bicycle helmet is much lower than the financial cost associated with injuries and medical care.
- Protection from inclement weather: Helmets offer protection from rain, wind, and UV heat from the Sun.
- Stay more visible: Helmets with reflective visors make you more visible to other drivers on the road.
- Legality: Many states in the US have laws requiring children under 18 to wear bicycle helmets.
- Look cool: These days helmets are a fashion statement. Look good on the road! There is no right time to impress someone
Important Helmet Safety Guidelines
- Find a helmet with proper fit
- Remember, if a helmet goes through a crash or impact, it should be replaced
Believe in numbers:
- As per IIHS Fatality Facts of Bicycles published in 2018, “In a majority of bicyclist deaths, the most serious injuries are to the head, highlighting the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet.”
- As per a statistic reported from New York, “Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet. Helmet use among those bicyclists with serious injuries was low (13%), but it was even lower among bicyclists killed (3%).”
- Statistics from “Helmet use and bicycle-related trauma injury outcomes”, Scott et al, Journal of Brain Injury, “Wearing a helmet significantly reduces injury severity, HLOS, ICULOS, and mortality (i.e total and in-hospital).”
- Statistics from the American Journal of Surgery, 2016, “Helmeted bicycle riders had 51% reduced odds of severe TBI and 44% reduced odds of mortality. Helmet use also reduced the odds of facial fractures by 31%. Conclusion: Bicycle helmet use provides protection against severe TBI, reduces facial fractures, and saves lives even after sustaining an intracranial hemorrhage.”
At Action Emporium, we have top branded, certified bike helmets from TSG and Freetown, which not only have you covered on all your rides, but also make you look good on your rides!
You can also check out our previous blog posts to know more about TSG and Freetown helmets.
References for statistics: https://www.helmets.org/stats.htm
🔎 Find out what’s in stock for you at Action Emporium!
🏃♂️ Don't miss out and get yours now!
Get your gear on!
Action Emporium Team